Nowadays, teenagers often overlook the importance of grassroots sports and physical activity, which leads to various health and social problems. At the same time, sports volunteering is still an undervalued concept, especially in post-soviet countries.
To jointly tackle these problems, 6 sports-oriented organisations from Lithuania, Latvia, Poland, Slovenia, Greece and Italy are willing to carry out a project - “Train with Brain” (TwB) that would take the opportunity to reaffirm the importance of grassroots sports & sports volunteering in an international environment. The main objective of the project is to promote voluntary activities in sport, together with social inclusion, equal opportunities and awareness of the importance of health-enhancing physical activity through grassroots sports. TwB will have a total duration of 12 months (from Jan, 2017) with its main activities hosted in Lithuania, as well as online in all the project countries. The main target groups of the project are: 1) teenagers with fewer opportunities; 2) young sports volunteers; and 3) sports organizations and NGOs within the project countries (later - across whole EU).
To achieve the project’s objective, we will organise:
1) an International Grassroots Sports Camp for Underprivileged Youth (10 days with 30 teenagers aged 12-15, coordinated by youth sports volunteers);
2) Training for International Sports Volunteers (7 days with 12 youth sports volunteers);
3) Online Grassroots Sports Creation Contest (at least 30 participants from project countries);
4) "Mindful Sports Badge" creation and nomination for socially responsible sports organizations (at least 100);
5) TwB Online Platform creation, which will include international sports camps and volunteering opportunities, special methodology on how to host international sports camps for underprivileged youth, and much more.
All this would be made self-sustainable and actively disseminated across the target groups in the EU.